Charmayne has worked in education for the past 10 years. In this 10 years of education experience, she has worked mainly in a Secwepémc Immersion setting. She has enjoyed working in Indigenous Education and this has helped her move forward in pursuing a career as a Elementary school teacher.

Charmayne has also worked in 2 different school districts. She has gained experience and knowledge which has helped pave the path towards Indigenous Education.

In 2018-2019, Charmayne has completed 100 hours in Xaayda Kil. She believes in all nations language revitalization. This was just her part in keeping Indigenous Language alive “My children are Haida from their fathers side, and I want them to be able to know their other heritage and culture even if I have to teach them myself”. She hopes to continue into the second part of Mentor Apprentice program in Xaayda Kil.

On her days off and some evenings, Charmayne has taught adult Secwepémctsin Language classes. This has been such a positive experience and has helped her gain more confidence in front of the classroom. She has enjoyed working with adults and made the classroom as much fun as possible.

Charmayne is in her 1st year of the Bachelor of Education in the Indigenous cohort. This type of education is exactly what she needed to complete and pursue her teaching certification ” I have always wanted to become a teacher but I just couldn’t line up school, work, and my family but when I was accepted into the Indigenous cohort everything lined up and I went for it”